Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Local bands, free music, and weekend planners

I had a broken link in a post last week. The very fine net show Something to be Desired is here and they have a "zombie filled Halloween episode" as well as a new episode called "Education" up now). So check it out.

So, on Tuesday, I went to Drenda Gostkowski's lecture on Massey Harbison in Butler - I'm a sucker for stories of digging up forgotten texts in small town libraries. (I'm the guy in the suit)


After that, I had some time to kill and ended up at the Butler County Library. I'm a huge fan of public libraries and have a long experiences with them. I think I saw my first breast (photograph, natch) in Mario Puzo's Inside Las Vegas in the Franklin Public Library and used the Boston Public Library as a sort of home base for a long time as well (open restrooms, lots of books and plenty of nap-worthy nooks.) and I was not disappointed here. With my PA Access card in hand I picked up: Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm (Download "She Really Wants You?"), Erykah Badu's Live (download "On and On", The Wallflowers' Rebel, Sweetheart (for the wife). Mike, from New Directions Comics, also donates graphic novels to the BPL, so I grabbed
Electric Girl for my daughter (no tights, no capes), Elektra Assassin (to relive my 80s Frank Miller childhood), Dark Knight Dynasty (which was brutally bad), and Daredevil Visionaries.

It's a pretty big arts weekend this weekend.. Clarion - Venango is having an 11 pm showing of Good Night and Good Luck

On Saturday at 6 PM 5 local bands for 5 dollars at the First Presbyterian Church in Franklin
Saturday is Carmen Jonesat the Franklin's Barrow Civic and Clarion Venango's film series continues with The Squid and the Whale at 7 pm (free and open to the public)
Oil City's Transit Fine Arts Gallery will be featuring eight local authors this month: Dr. John Karian, A J Schiffer, Jack Mays, Dr. Charles Williams, Cheryl Caho, Jill Mattson, Peter Greene, and Elaine Parke Susco. The meet and greet for the authors is this Sunday from 2 to 4:30 pm in the gallery at 206 Seneca St Oil City
Venagoland has been updated with a really nice post that asks, should we prepare our kids to stay or go?
The Ridgway Record has had a facelift - I hope that they continue their fine local arts coverage - right now it's all national ;(
Bluegrass musician Ralph Stanley has been selected by the White House to receive the 2006 national medals of the arts and humanities.

No comments: