Friday, November 10, 2006

Grammy help anyone?

Wild props (it kills me when I talk like that) to St Stephen School in Oil City (full disclosure - my wife teaches there) for their Artist in Education program. Clarabelle van Niekerk, a South African artist who lives in Meadville, has spent two-and-a-half days each week working with the SSS sixth-grade students. The student-artist work will culminate at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the school auditorium when students present a play they have written during the pairing. Admission is free and the event is open to the public.
As a former participant in the Artist in Education program, I can't express how valuable it is and how I wish more schools would take advantage of it. The only odd thing is that van Niekerk claims to have won a Grammy for "Best CD" which, of course, isn't a category, and I'm unable to find the name of the album that won it for her. Can anyone help me out?

Pittsburgh's Carrie Furnaces have been designated a national historic landmark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a South African Grammy equivalent called the SARIE. Perhaps that is what is referred to? Or was she somehow involved with the Ladysmith Black Mombasa production? -- they won a Grammy in the 80's, I think.