Friday, June 16, 2006

Underground Railroad Convention and Gov't Pork for us

A couple of days ago, as I walked past Franklin's Pioneer Cemetery, I cringed as I saw the workers using string trimmers around the crumbling headstones. For a region obsessed by history, we don't seem to spend a lot of time finding out how to do preservation correctly. Check the association for Gravestone Studies here and their A Graveyard Preservation Primer.

On that topic, a couple of years ago, The Derrick/News Herald ran an article about two older guys who were tracking down abandoned graveyards and using GPS technology to mark them. Anyone know these guys or have a copy of the article? Please and thank you!

And, speaking of history, the Sugar Grove Underground Railroad Convention starts tomorrow.

Republican Representative Peterson announced in this morning's Derrick, that he was able to secure $200,0000 for the Hunting and Fishing Museum of Pennsylvania in Tionesta

Remember kids, it's not wasteful government pork if it goes into your district's pocket...

The Mayville Bluegrass Festival is this weekend and thanks to this in the Erie-Times:

I try to show you can dress hip and cool and play bluegrass," she [Rhonda Vincent] continued. "The two can go together. A man came up to me before a concert and said, "I can't wait to see you play.' Then his granddaughter came up and said, 'I can't wait to see what you wear!' Our demographic is very wide because of that."

I'm no longer upset about missing it.

No comments: