Thursday, January 19, 2006

This is venangago-go's 100 post!

This is venangago-go's 100 post! Have a drink! Celebrate!

Titusville Council on the Arts has realized a 1,000 percent growth in its annual budget since 1996 (full disclosure, I was the featured speaker several years ago at U Pitt's Day of Poetry sponsored in part by the TCA). With all that money, though, you think they could afford a nicer website.

Living in an old house (~150 year old Victorian), I joined the The Historic Preservation Society. They're putting on a presentation of now vanished Venango County amusement park, Monarch Park, but here's the thing; this presentation like so many of the others is at 2 pm on Thursday the 19th (at the First Presbyterian Church on Elk St in Franklin), thus guarenteeing that only retirees will be there. Tell me again that NWPA is interested in serving it's younger residents? Grrrr.....

John Edwards' review of the Erie Art Museum's exhibit Cabinets of Curiosites is a wildly mediocre piece of writing and about 300 words too long, (in the intro alone, there's language like, "The magic of Showcase is based on the ability of wood to express and be expressed upon. It is not a forgiving medium and . . . a harsh taskmaster" - oh my god, were all the people who were let go editors?) but I do agree with him on one point -- the exhibit is no fun without a museum staffer -- look for my review and experience glomming on uninvited to a guided tour closer to the reception next month on Friday, February 10, from 8 to 10 p.m.

Local weaver Patricia Vedneris profiled in the Meadville Tribune.

Speaking of Meadville ( which I notice I do quite a bit, which is funny because I rarely go there anymore since my brother graduated), I was looking for the real name of The Penny Bar, when I found this with all the details of the new brewpub opening there. I think the explosion of brewpubs locally is really odd - I thought that was over and done. Still, I'm not complaining, especially since places like North Country Brewing continue to book good local talent and have a socially responsible mission statement.

Historic Foltz School was located just south of Slippery Rock on Route 8. If you have photos of it, Jennings Environmental Education Center is trying to restore it and needs help. Contact them at jenningssp@state.pa.us or (724) 794-6011.



Talk about synergy - last week, I wrote in this blog about how much I enjoyed overheard in pittburgh, then the writer of the blog, Chris Griswold write to say that he's from Franklin. Turns out he's a comic book nerd like me and has another blog dedicated to that. Then, just as I was writing about how Erie needed an alt-weekly, I picked up Pittsburgh's City Paper to find , yup, Chris Griswold interviewed.

Along those lines, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that local roots band (ich, what a horrible label to put on my favorite band) Big Jack Earl will be playing at North Country Brewing from 7-10 pm Monday night. Look for me, I'l be the short, dark, handsome guy.

While I think that "Gus, the second most favorite groundhog" is one of the most disturbing mascot around, it turns out that Phil, after all winter underground, is a litlle unhinged too...

Finally, unrealted to everything, if you're headed to Erie Discount Beer, pick me up one of their free "Koozie" or Keychain Bottle Opener

No comments: