This Friday, June 17 is the Oil Region Indie Fest. It’s a departure from Fests past (full disclosure, I’m a sort of ex officio member of the Fest planning group). This year, the music is inside and starts at 5 p.m.
You can check out the full schedule below, but here’s a cheat sheet of the can’t miss sets:
5 p.m. — Justin Parson, Double Play (View Map)
Parsons produces consistently fantastic lyrics. A singer-songwriter whose dry wit and strong guitar skills are leavened with more than a small dose of lyrical melancholy. He recently posted pics of his new cigar box guitar and I’m hoping it makes an appearance.
6 p.m. — Rand Hubiak, Mosiac Café (237 Seneca St
Oil City, PA 16301)
Hubiak’s coming in from New Jersey with his piano driven songwriting which he describes as a mélange of “Billy Joel, Elton John, Ben Folds, Bruce Hornsby, and Tori Amos.”
7 p.m. — Jeremy Jack, Double Play (View Map)
Jack’s Judgement album has been on my heavy play list for several months now. He blends the old school evangelical hymns from my youth with a dizzying array of instrumentation and a gift for the truly funny.
8 p.m. — Jerome Wincek, Double Play (View Map)
The Indie Fest is Wincek’s baby. He’s the most prolific musician in Northwestern Pennsylvania and continues to reinvent himself. The three part Revelator cycle is like Paradise Lost with deeper cuts.
9 p.m. — Remora Deign, Billy's (View Larger Map)
Remora Deign has been representing the rock side of the region for years now in an area that skews to singer-songwriter on one axis and truly horrible bar cover bands on the other. It takes guts to play original rock here and RD does it well.
Additionally, the Northside Business Association will host a street fair from 5 to 9 p.m. along the 200 block of Seneca Street, which will be closed for the evening. Among the activities will be rock painting, disc golf demonstrations, games, cornhole tournament, face painting and a drum circle.
- 5 p.m. — Justin Parson, Double Play; Colin Halyk, Stuffed Tortilla; Latrobe Barnitz, Mosiac Cafe; Josiah Micklos, National Transit.
- 5:30 p.m. — Nate Micklos, National Transit.
- 6 p.m. — Nate Custer, Double Play; Luke Grasha, Stuffed Tortilla; Rand Hubiak, Mosiac Cafe; Garret Heath, National Transit.
- 7 p.m. — Jeremy Jack, Double Play; Byson Band, Stuffed Tortilla; Morgan Hartman, Mosiac Cafe; Lauren Joyce, National Transit; Drewzilla, McNerney's.
- 7:30 p.m. — Chris Clouser, Billy's; Washington Crossing, Mosiac Cafe; Seth Brewster, National Transit; Chad Stone, McNerney's.
- 8 p.m. — Kick Old Man, Billy's; Jerome Wincek, Double Play; Me and You, Mosiac Cafe; Jake Bitch Dude, McNerney's.
- 8:30 p.m. — Amerikan Lite, Mosiac Cafe; Byson Band, National Transit; Nate Hall, McNerney's.
- 9 p.m. — Remora Deign, Billy's; Lie Detector, Double Play.
- 9:30 p.m. — Panic Attack, Double Play; Brohemians, Mosiac Cafe; Mark Trimpey, National Transit; Colin Halyk, McNerney's.
- 10 p.m. — The Old Hats, Billy's; D.J. Ryanspin, Double Play; Ground from Sky, Mosiac.
- 10:30 p.m. — Remora Deign, National Transit.
- 11 p.m. — The Hype, Billy's.
- Midnight — Crash City, Billy's.
- 1 a.m. — Nervous Existence, Billy's.
All events are free and open to the public, but some venues are 21+. Call ahead to make sure.