Friday, September 26, 2008

September 26, 2008

Brother Bean has been bringing in local, national, and international bands for free shows for almost three years now. It's the epicenter of music talent in Venango County, one of my favorite places to while away a few hours and is breaking my heart.

First was the announcement that shows were moving from Saturday to Friday night which with my schedule meant that I would miss 40 out 52 shows per year. Then came the coup de grace, co-owner Gwen Kahler emailed me to tell me that she and her husband Bruce were preparing to pull up stakes and head out West. And while I'm delighted they'll be able to spend time doing what the want to do, the news left a big emptiness not only in the prospect for quality local music, but in my heart as well. I'm close to making it to the Kubler-Ross stage of acceptance, but I don't like it. Not one bit.

Gwen Kahler of Brother Bean's Top 10 List for September:

Top ten favorites in no particular order

1. Sweet Potato French Fries at The Villa in Oil City. The yellow dining room booths make them even better! And with butter and brown sugar they are amazing.

2. The Bike Trail. We don’t get on it often enough, but really do appreciate having it nearby and love taking walks along the river. (well, Bruce does a version of wobbly roller blading while I walk; I always see people approaching him with a look of wonder and alarm…”I wonder if I should take cover? Is this guy gonna fall over on me?”)

3. All the places to swim for free around here. Swimming holes in the river and creeks.

4. All the different colors of green in the spring. I think it’s amazing how many shades there are when all the trees and plants are recovering from their winter sleep.

5. The small town wonder of being in a store and knowing so many people that you spend your time talking instead of shopping.

6. The sense of community that is growing in the music and arts “scene”. I am so excited over the growing cooperation between venues especially.

7. Local musicians (who are legion!) that have so graciously helped us build the brotherbean music venue.

8. The brucchetta at the new Italian place in Oil City's Arlington Hotel.

9. Watching people watch some of the strange looking young adults that come to stay with us! Musicians and artists get pretty creative and I like to watch people observe them.

10. And, of course, hanging out at brotherbean. I have the coolest job in the world. It’s like all my friends come over to hang out with me in my giant living room!

Brother Bean is located at 2803 SR 257, Seneca, PA 16346 814-677-0232 HOURS: Mon.-Fri. 7:30 am to 9:00 pm, Sat. 9 am to 9 pm

This Friday, October 3rd, Hello Tokyo rolls in from Brooklyn for a no-cover show from 7-9pm.

SOLID ROCK CAFE PA SYSTEM FOR SALE

$2400
matched pa system
mackie 16-channel board in rack
qsc - 1220 - amp
pa amp with connector cables
balanced main and subwoofer speaker (electrovox)

contact Gwen at 814-677-0232





I took my daughter to see Wicked(again) for her birthday, while at Pittsburgh's Benedum, I couldn't help but notice that SRU prof Steve Hawk was playing in the orchestra.




A new exhibit opens today at the Erie Art Museum. Beginning today through March 2009, the museum will feature the first North American museum exhibition of East African textiles and will host guests from Kenya and Tanzania, who will be participating in a variety of events scheduled in October. Admission is $10 per person with a free public opening reception is scheduled for Gallery Night Friday, October 10, 2008 from 6 - 10 p.m. (via)




At Venangoland, Pete Greene says don't believe everything you read.





Critical Mass has come to Erie. I'm delirious with joy.




Trying to find an artist to play a house concert?




Today is the final day that AT&T is streaming Experience Austin City Limits Music Festival




Free and Legal Downloads:


Okkervil River at The Showbox at the Market in Seattle, WA on September 17, 2008

Drive-By Truckers Live at Charlottesville Pavilion on September 20, 2008

My Morning Jacket Live at Marquee Theater on September 23, 2008



No comments: