Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sometime in December 2007, I sent out some emails asking local(ish) artists, venue owners, and other cultural workers if they wanted to participate in a monthly top 10 list project. The premise was simple: participants would choose their top 10 of anything, no theme necessary, and explain why they liked it so much. I'm still looking to fill a few spots and would love to have more visual, artists, writers, and arts administrators. So if you're interesting in playing along, drop me a line.

Next in the series is Gypsy Dave of Gypsy Dave and the Stumpjumpers:





"Here it is, in its mostly 80's glory (I know it's weird, I was born in 83')... For some reason the movies I watched as a boy still stand as the ones that hit me the hardest.

1. Stand By Me(hands down)This is coming of age as a boy in American society. No one could do it better.

2. Big Fish The songs, the stories, the lives we lead. I love how this film was made.

3. Lean on Me This is one of my Dad's favorite movies. I think he always saw something of himself in the film having spent most of his young life working in the addictions field. It makes you want to stand up for what you believe in. And in this film, it's people, all of us together.

4. Milo and Otis Ahh..who doesn't love a story about a curious cat and a pug nosed pup narrated by a British guy who does the voices for every animal?

5. The Ghost and the Darkness A true story about man eating lions in Africa that were so prolific in their killing that they became mythical. They were called 'The ghost and the darkness' and the movie personifies the man vs nature conflict. Man is trying to conquer Africa by building a railroad. The lions, they said, were sent by the devil... or maybe not. There's something to that...

6. O Brother Where Art Thou I've always loved the colors in this movie. Most notably at the Devil's crossroads. That sienna color makes the movie for me. And that soundtrack too...

7. Teen Wolf Michael J. Fox, werewolves, high school basketball (a la Hoosiers). Can you beat that?

8. Top Gun I think I watched this movie every day for a whole summer in middle school.

9. Over the Top Written by Sylvester Stallone. Here's the skinny. A truck driver (played by Sylvester himself) has to win back the love of his son and buy a new big rig by competing in arm wrestling tournaments. Yep. It's that good.

10. Emmett Otter’s Jug Band Christmas This is my favorite Christmas movie. Not only because a bunch of otters and beavers play in a jug band together... If you haven't seen it yet, you should."


Right now Gypsy Dave and The Stumpjumpers is gearing up to go on tour in April.
Apr 3 2008 8:00P
Grounds For Change (Allegheny College) Meadville, Pennsylvania
Apr 11 2008 10:30P
Club Cafe Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Apr 12 2008 8:00P
Purple Fiddle Thomas, West Virginia
Apr 18 2008 7:00P
Mercyhurst College Erie, Pennsylvania

You can purchase Gypsy Dave and Stumpjumper's latest album As the Stars Gather Light (or stream it for free) at CDBaby.



I've been listening to a lot of Charlie Sexton lately. I just thought you'd want to know.








No comments: