Friday, September 14, 2007

This Saturday Ryan Waterman brings her acoustic folk to Seneca's Brother Bean. 7 pm show. No cover.




Jerome Wincek and the Old Hats have a busy weekend. Tonight at 9, they play a 1/2 way to st. patty’s at Oil City's Shamrock Bar and Saturday they play another Oil City bar show, this time at billy’s. Saturday's show starts at 10 pm. I'm pretty sure they'll be doing both Molly Hatchet and Justin Timberlake covers. Or so I've been told.



From Joann Wheeler, OC Arts Czar(ina):

Margie Lintz, from the Movies at Cranberry, would enjoy displaying the work of local artists in the entry way to the Theatre. If you know of anyone interested, please let me know or contact Margie directly at (814) 676-1010,

Also, Daryl Hicks has purchased the Seneca Street building which houses Creekside Senior Center, Classy Catering, and The Classic Salon, his own hair salon, upstairs. He would be delighted to hear from artists wanting to display their work in his interior hallways, which get quite a lot of traffic. Please let him know if you are interested: 814-676-8886.

Finally, if there is a business where you think your work would fit in well, please email me and let me know -- I would be happy to approach the business owner and try to get a relationship established for you.





The Venango Chamber Orchestra, one of my favorite local institutions, is looking for additional string players. Contact Nancy Simpson at (814) 677-6007




The DeBence Antique Music World in downtown Franklin cranks up the Nickleodeons this Sunday at 2 pm. The show is free.




Emil and the Palookas will play Linesville's Knickerbocker Hotel Sat. Sept 15th as part of the Linesville Waterfowl Expo.




Butler's Art Center passed on the news that:
There are still a few slots open for 2008 solo & group shows, in one of our four galleries. If you are interested in having your own solo show, or have an idea for a show (artists are welcome to partner with other artists for shows), please submit an application.
All artwork must be original and all media is accepted including oil/acrylic, watercolors, photography, sculpture, pencil, pastel/charcoal, clay, fiber arts, mixed media, fashion, installations, etc.
To apply for a solo or group show, please mail the following:
·Artist Resume and Biography
·Digital images on a CD or photographs (up to 10).
If submitting digital images, please make sure your files are .jpg or .tiff·Please include the size, price and brief description of your work·
Please include an explanation of the concept and materials used
Please mail to:The Art Center
Attn: Exhibit Application
P.O. Box 245
Butler, PA 16003-0245
If submitting electronically, please email to aabc_exhibit@earthlink.net




Want to see what Franklin looks like to a Pittsburgher? (I'm referring here, not to an actual resident of Pittsburgh, but using it in the vencular sense to describe those who come to the area to stay in their cabins. And, yes, I realize it's a prejorative.)

Marry Dressell will be at The Franklin Public Library on Sept 22nd at 2 pm to sign copies of her new romance Visions of Enchantment:

My inspiration for this book was a quaint little Victorian town in Pennsylvania near where I used to have vacation property. The fictitious town of Enchantment in my book is based on the real town of Franklin, PA, in Northwestern Pennsylvania. Each time I drove through it, I felt like something was calling to me. I kept repeating to myself that there was a story there, waiting to be written. So, one night in my little cabin in the Allegheny Mountains, outside a tiny town called Tidioute, along side the Allegheny River, I took out a pen and yellow notebook, and started writing my story.

Seems only fair really, if I can set a noir in Pittsburgh, why not set a romance here in the FKL? In fact, maybe she should have been hired to write the Col Drake bio. I can see it know, Col Drake and George Bissell embraced in a Brokeback moment...Now that, my friends, is the way to sell a book!



Call for artists to participate in HOT PINK, a show about Art, Education, Awareness & Action. Opening in October; Breast Cancer Awareness Month The Associated Artists of Butler County invites artists to showcase their artwork. Deadline October 5th, 2007. Fee for entry is $7 per piece for AABC members and $10 per piece for non-members. Head here for an application.

No comments: