Wednesday, August 01, 2007



A hot summer’s afternoon, a no-name energy drink and The Old Hats playing a lunchtime show in Oil City. I only managed to catch the last 20 minutes, but it was very solid set.




My daughter will be selling her jewelry at this weekend's Taste of Franklin, so stop by the park and contribute to her college fund. Let me make it clear that it's jewelry she's made. She's not been forced to liquidate her possessions for future tuition. yet.







Drug Mules play an acoustic set at Seneca's Brother Bean this Saturday 7 pm, no cover.






The New Castle Playhouse has announced upcoming auditions






Speaking of New Castle (or "Little Brooklyn" as we call it in my house), The Hoyt Institute of Fine Arts will present an exhibition of Wolf Kahn’s pastels






Black47 will be playing Pittsburgh’s Moondog’s August 5th at 7:30 pm. $15.






WQED wants your WWII story.






The just plain folks Pittsburgh guy who paints Steelers is picked by Bush for the Presidential portrait
Never had any art lessons, Prascak says. I used to paint with Rust-Oleum. I used to clean my brushes with gasoline in an enclosed space. I'm lucky that didn't kill me.


I think we're all feeling pretty lucky right now.







The Post Gazette takes a look at the hall where Patti Smith is playing even as I type.
The Carnegie Music Hall that hosts a legendary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee tonight is not the one on Seventh Avenue in Manhattan, or even the one on Forbes Avenue in Oakland. The concert -- by punk poet Patti Smith -- is instead at the Carnegie Library of Homestead, which is trying to assert its own turn-of-the-century musical jewel as a regional concert venue. The Carnegie Library of Homestead was the second Mon Valley library Andrew Carnegie built (following one in Braddock), designed by Alden and Harlow, the same architects who did Carnegie's library and museum complex in Oakland. Homestead's music hall is much like its sister in Oakland -- ornate and acoustically sublime -- but about half the size.






20 Ways to Get Free or Cheap Books, and Give Away Your Old Ones






Weirdo Theatre Orkeztra will present Robert Wiene’s silent film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari at the Erie Art Museum Annex, 20 E. 5th St., on Aug. 10. The doors open at 7:30 p.m. $5






Extras are needed for a documentary about baseball that will film in Erie during the weekend of Aug. 25. More info here.






Tori Amos will play Pittsburgh’s Benedum Center October 30, 8:00 PM






Want to buy tickets for the Benedum’s run of My Fair Lady? Me either. But if you know someone who does and wants to buy them before they go on sale to the general public, have them drop me a line and I’ll shoot the super-secret code their way.


















No comments: