Thursday, March 15, 2007

Saturday is amateur night, of course, so I will be avoiding any place that serves alcohol like the plague. Luckily, there's still tons to do.

The Luna Film Festival rolls into Butler tonight.

MANN KE MANJEERÉ Singer Shubha Mudgal vocals portray the journey of a courageous domestic violence survivor. The story of the music video was inspired greatly by the life of a young Muslim women, Shameem Paathan. Born into a well-to-do family and the daughter of 7 sons, Shameem fell in love, and much against the wishes of her family married the man of her choice. That she made the wrong choice soon became apparent. When her son was three and a half years old, Shameem finally decided to fend for herself. She went through a series of businesses and finally she learned how to drive, an unheard of occupation for a women in her society. She now drives her own van in Ahmedabad, ferrying passengers.

PLUM FLOWER Plum Flower takes place in 1948 China. It was a time when female infanticide was a normal occurrence for poor rural communities. Females could not carry on the family name, so they were less desirable when too many were born to one family. Plum Flower is about a mother and father facing a staggering moral choice when they have a fifth daughter.

SLIP OF THE TONGUE Be careful what you ask a stranger at a bus stop; a look at perceptions of beauty, ethnicity, and body image define "ethnic makeup.

BREACHED A Mexican women is nearing delivery and is determined to have her baby on American soil.

CITY PARADISE London is a big city, and for those new to it, it can sometimes seem quite scary. But Tomoko, who arrives from Japan to learn English, accidentally discovers a mysterious, secret city underground, inhabited by friendly little aliens and beautiful blossoms. After she finds it, everything changes.

TOP OF THE CIRCLE Who is at the top of the food chain? This experimental performance piece explores the cycle of life and death--and bacon bits.

DEAR TALULA Filmmaker Lori Benson is a quintessential downtown New Yorker who was diagnosed with breast cancer just 14 months after the birth of her daughter,Talula. With much grace and humor, Benson brings us along as her friends and husband document an emotionally charged year. We thus become part of Benson's inner circle and are privy to her most intimate thoughts, vulnerabilities, and discoveries. The profound experience makes the filmmaker confront her own mortality and ultimately strengthens her connection to her true self.

KYLIE GOLDSTEIN-ALL AMERICAN A documentary about a Chinese adopted, All-American 6 year old.

AGRICULTURAL REPORT A concerned cow discovers the bliss of ignorance.

Films start at 7:30 pm on the campus of Butler County Community College. Tickets are $5 at the door. If that weren't enough, 15% of the proceeds of each festival go to the Breast Cancer Fund. The remaining 85% goes the local women’s organization or college group that hosts the festival.

Also, film-y in Butler the cult film fest continues Friday, March 16th with a showing of The Last Man on Earth. $4 admission at the Butler Penn Theatre in downtown Butler at 8 pm

Sunday March 18 at 2:00 PM Ed and Carol Ditto from New Philadelphia present a lecture performance featuring antique organ grinders and puppets at Franklin's DeBence's Museum. Sadly, no cute, yet disease ridden monkeys or old Italian stereotypes to go with the grinders. So sad.

No comments: