Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm buried in work, but there's just too much good stuff coming up not to bring it to your attention.

Tomorrow, poet Ilya Kaminsky will be at Clarion University's art gallery at 7 pm. Free and open to the public. Kaminsky was born in Odessa, former Soviet Union in 1977, and arrived to the United States in 1993, when his family was granted asylum by the American government. Kaminsky is the author of Dancing in Odessa He lost most of his hearing at the age of four after a bout with the mumps the Soviet state doctor thought was just a cold, and currently lives on the West Coast (what an awkward alignment of facts on my part). Here's one of his:

"Author's Prayer"

If I speak for the dead, I must
leave this animal of my body,

I must write the same poem over and over
for the empty page is a white flag of their surrender.

If I speak of them, I must walk
on the edge of myself, I must live as a blind man

who runs through the rooms without
touching the furniture.

Yes, I live. I can cross the streets asking "What year
is it?"
I can dance in my sleep and laugh

in front of the mirror.
Even sleep is a prayer, Lord,

I will praise your madness, and
in a language not mine, speak

of music that wakes us, music
in which we move. For whatever I say

is a kind of petition and the darkest days
must I praise.

But, a better idea is to listen to his reading at Bowdoin about a year ago here

On Friday and Saturday, Theatre in the Little Theatre is presenting Joe Orton’s What the Butler Saw at 8 pm on Franklin’s Barrow Civic Little Theatre.

Disguises, mistaken identities, parental disclosures, slapstick, wild movements, absurd situations, horseplay, and the ridiculous are all present in Orton’s laugh out loud play. The cost is $5. There will be a cash bar. What the Butler Saw contains adult themes and may be inappropriate for children under the age of 13.

Finally, On Saturday, Venango Campus' film series continues with Andanggaman

In West Africa during the late 17th century, King Adanggaman leads a war against his neighboring tribes, ordering his soldiers to torch enemy villages, kill the elderly and capture the healthy tribesmen to sell to the European slave traders. When his village falls prey to one of Adanggaman's attacks, Ossei manages to escape, but his family is murdered except for his captured mother. Chasing after the soldiers in an effort to free her, Ossei is befriended by a fierce warrior named Naka.

Meadville's Blue Planet Cafe live music events are planned for the following Saturdays in 2007:
Jan. 27th, Feb. 24th, Mar. 24th, Apr. 21st, May 26th, June 23rd,
July 28th, Aug. 25th, Sep. 22, Oct. 20, Nov. 24th, Dec. 22nd.
Bands looking to play should send an email.

Venangoland has been updated:
It’s common to complain about irresponsible people. But I don’t think irresponsibility is nearly as large an issue as nonresponsibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil Terman also featured several poems by Ilya Kaminsky today in his Poet's Corner email -- thanks for the tip about that. It's a great way to start the day!

D. Gordon said...

I had the grand honor of meeting, talking to, and shuddering upon listening to, Ilya last night. It's astonishing how such a young man can be so wise, brilliant, and humble. It was a simply amazing ordeal, my head still spins.