Friday, October 13, 2006

Sienna Miller and Meadville, NBA graphic novels, and Haley Bonar

Off to the Venango Catholic used book sale, but thought I better get a post in first.

Wait, did I saw I was sorry that I missed Erie's Mysteries of Pittsburgh Sienna Miller tempest in an IC can with "Who the hell does this Sienna Miller skank think she is? " Normally, I wouldn't have spent two seconds on this, much less blogged it (star acting badly! Shocker!") If not for the fact that Chris Potter relates the incident back to Allegheny College in Meadville:

Running down the provincials is an easy way to do that. I knew kids who did the same thing in college by making fun of the “townies.” (The town in question incidentally, was Meadville, where Miller’s father lives today. So there!)

Chinese-American comic artist Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese is the first graphic novel ever nominated for a National Book Award.

In heavy rotation on my MP3 player is Haley Bonar who has left her major label and now is, "working two jobs and doing a DIY release again, but I can’t say I have any regrets.”
She'll be in Pittsburgh on the 24th at Quiet Storm, 5430 penn ave, with Lisa Germano. The show starts at 8pm sharp

Once, when teaching a course on music in novels, I used Ondaatje's Coming Through Slaughter, Morrison's Jazz, Kerouac's On the Road, Doyle's The Commitments, and Hornby's High Fidelity. It was a damn fine class, but the students roundly despised High Fidelity (most of them, I suspect, blew off the book and watched the film). The Harvard Crimson feels the same way about the musical theatre adapation of Hornsby's tale of record store clerks and lists:

High Fidelity is the most egregious insult to popular culture ever to grace a modern theatre and anyone who sees it betrays his entire generation.


The Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk , whose exquisitely constructed, wistful prose explores the agonized dance between Muslims and the West and between past and present, on Thursday won the 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature.

No comments: