Friday, October 27, 2006

Free Halloween Mix, Titusville Sculpture, and Andy Rooney

Venangoland updates with a really nicely put together post:
We all have a vague impression of a “trust” being some sort of Bad Thing, highly illegal, somehow related to monopolies. But the legal construct of a Trust was invented by Franklin native S C T Dodd.

Thanks to the Titusville School District, the Titusville Council on the Arts and the John Nesbet and Sarah Henne Rees Charitable Foundation, Nicole Aul and Ivy Kuberry, two Titusville Middle School students have been captured in bronze by Jamestown, N.Y area sculptor David Poulin.



Given all that, the city will soon have no major bookstore Downtown, and Pittsburghers should tremble at the symbolism. What will out-of-towners think when they discover that such a center of history, art and culture doesn't have a big store with aisles and aisles of books, the latest literary magazines and political journals in its central business district?

There's a National Vocabulary Champtionship? Who knew?


Halloween Mix:
One of the great joys in my life is putting together the pre, intermission, and post show mixes for Theatre in the Little Theatre shows. Since Saturday's play was a spooky tale (Conor McPherson's The Weir) I put together somthing a little more cheesy (I mean fun) and thought I'd give you a little taste.

Carrie - Go -Go Rays
the Go Go Rays were an Erie ska band, which in their own words was "too punk for the ska kids... too ska for the punk kids".

Halloween - The Evangelicals

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
I've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbells.

Monster - Big Jack Earl

Dance of Death - Calexico

Sympathy for the Devil - Jane's Addiction

Houdini's Box - Jane Sobule

Halloween Parade - Lou Reed
Summer 1989. Mark McClusky and I are playing volleyabll with two very lovely ladies from another school at Two Mile Run beach. Mark puts on Lou Reed's New York. Two older guys begin trying to pick a fight with us for listening to that "country shit". Irony has always been in pretty low supply here.

Halloween - Matt Pond Pa

Ghosts - Kronos Quartet
Scariest movie ever? Requiem for a Dream.

Halloween - Sonic Youth
The first junkie I ever knew turned me on to Sonic Youth and then later sold me his entire record colletion for a quarter an album. Some would say that I was taking advantage of a friend. I like to think of it as teaching a young man an important lesson about addiciton.

I Am Stretched on Your Grave - Sinead O'Connor

Finally, I'll leave you with the words of the sage Andy Rooney:
""One of the biggest surprises to me is Pittsburgh. I didn't know it's on an island, like New York City." Indeed.

No comments: