Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Festivals, religion, and lack of regionalism...

Peter Greene has updated venangoland with an essay about local churches.

Pittsburgh-born artist Andy Warhol is the subject of a new documentary by the other Burns brother (Ric) to be shown tonight and tomorrow night on PBS.

The film traces Warhol back to his beginnings in Pittsburgh, where he was poor and physically inhibited and wanted to be Shirley Temple.

Well, sure. Who doesn't?

In Northeast PA (the town, not the direction) this weekend, the Wine Country Harvest Festival marks 25 years of grape-y, booze-y goodness.

It's also Autumn Leaf Festival time. Finally scheduled so that it and Applefest don't directly compete, just overlap. Sheesh. Good regionalism guys! The theme for this, the 53rd annual celebration, is "A Symphony of Color." The festival is scheduled from Sept. 29 through Oct. 8.

I was cruising through other Franklin PA blogs, and, as it turns out, there's more than I thought there were. I got to My 95 Chevy Suburban and immediatly thought, "God, a blog dedicated to someone's 11 year old SUV? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocolypse? I thought my 'blog was the most niche-y..." But them, as I started to read it, I realized that it's actaully a pretty cool compodium of one man's attempt to go greasy. That is to try to turn this pig of a environemntal disaster into a biodiesel. Pretty cool, but as a reader - I'd like to see fewer pictures of rims and a little more news on the conversion front...

No comments: