Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lisa Cummings in Inkburns and Oil City's sound garden.

I was giving into nostalgia last night, thinking about the sisters, Lisa and Lynn, who lived down the road from me and how I nursed unrequited crushes on both of them at one time or another. So, I did what anyone would do - I googled them, or at least Lisa, since I knew her married name, and lo and behold found Inkburns.
Inkburns is a Butler area lit zine with a large archive online, including an interview with Lisa here (I wasn't sure it was her at first, but the combination of crab processing, Paris, and grad school led me to believe it could only be her). Nostalgia satisfied, I clicked through the rest of the site and vowed to stop drinking mojitos on an empty stomach.

Oil City, although still one of the most depressing places to visit in our region, is really stepping up to the plate recently.
The Oil City area arts revitalization committee, the Samuel Justus Charitable Trust and the Oil City Garden Club are sponsoring a contest for people aged 13 to 21 to design the garden's first sound installation.

The first component is expected to be easily movable yet fit attractively into a natural garden setting. Check out the criteria at the link above. Design contest applications are available at the Venango Area Chamber of Commerce, at the Oil City Library, at the Transit Fine Arts Gallery, at town coffee shops and some South Side restaurants.

The NYTimes has introduced a horror book column.

No comments: