Monday, May 22, 2006

Allegheny College Bookstore


After four hours of math as a spectator sport on Friday, the family and I headed up to Meadville's Allegheny College to check out their redesigned bookstore. In the past, the bookstore was in the basement of what I think was the post office. It was tiny and cramped, but had a great selection.
Now in their new location, in the union, with comfy chairs and glass walls it is, bar none, the best used book store in the region. I pulled over $100 worth of $3.50 books in less than half an hour including The Golem's Mighty Swing, an edition of Coming Through Slaughter that I had never seen before, and a collection of Pickney Benedict. But, the tyranny of choice got to me - the family was anxious to go to the Market House gallery and everything looked so good, I put it all back (even the hard cover Black Hole)making plans to come back later. But, if you're into books at all, you've got to check this store out....


"Art" was a good show, although, let's face it, by this time in my life I know I'm, never going to be happy or satisfied with anything I do. It was, however, very cool to see Mr and Mrs Big Jack Earl at the show.

















Saturday was a reading/workshop at which I was appearing. The less said, the better.

But enough about me:
Talk about uncomfortable. In Saturday's News-Herald Oil Region Alliance board member Neil "I never met a oily robber baron I wouldn't want to kiss hard on the lips" McElwee spoke of his contempt for Edwin Drake saying,
"There are two types of history. The real stuff and the popular folklore that's easy to relate [to]...It
[the father of the petro disaster, er, industry] wasn't Drake. That's for kids."
Meanwhile, his wife, Lois, is quoted in the same paper this morning as spearheading the drive for a Edwin Drake stamp. "We want a postage stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of the petroleum industry, one that will coincide with the 2009 date," said Lois McElwee of Oil City...McElwee is the sesquicentennial coordinator who is leading the campaign to globally commemorate style Col. Edwin Drake's fortuitous drilling escapade on Aug. 27, 1859, near Titusville. Drake's successful oil well launched the petroleum industry and marked the Oil Valley as its birthplace.
Phew. See what happens when you let the little lady speak for herself?

The Erie Times News has an update on the Warner Theatre renovation.

The Syntax of Things has a great post about the crapshoot that is getting anything published...

As I move into the Burroughes chapter of my next project, I thought you might be interested in this collection of ol' WSB's cut-up movies.

No comments: